It’s easy to dismiss home burglaries as something that “just happens” The fact of the matter is that often burglaries don’t just happen: They’re planned out in advance. Thieves often scope out neighborhoods before they make their move—looking for homes that are easier to break into. Here are five things they look for.
- Doors that aren’t visible from the street or neighbors’ houses
- Lights that automatically come on at the same time every day
- Advertising door hangers on the front door or newspapers and fliers on the porch (indicating that nobody is home)
- Driveways and walkways that aren’t cleared of snow in the winter
- Dark areas around the exterior of the home that provide cover
Being aware of what home-invaders are looking for can help you take steps to protect your home and your family. Click here if you’d like more specific information about how to remedy some of these issues and turn your home into a place that’s unattractive to burglars.